Der Kaiser-Franz-Josef-Jubiläumstempel (Tempel- und Schulverein Favoriten) - 10th district Favoriten

Synagogue built in: 1896 – 1898
Earliest record of community: 1849
Last rabbi: Dr. Albert Weiner
Pogrom Night: Blown up
Today: Apartment building
Summary: Jews lived in Favoriten when it was still known as Krowottendoerfel, and settlement there dates from 1849, when they prayed at 41 Laxenburgerstrasse. The central figure was rabbi and teacher Gabriel Reiser, who also acted as cantor and shochet.

In 1870 Krowottendoerfel was established as an independent district of Vienna with the name Favoriten. The Jews took an active part in establishing the new entity, though Emanuel Friedmann was the only Jewish representative appointed to office in the first local election.

In 1872 the Tempelverein Favoriten was constituted, meeting for prayer first in 41 Himbergersrasse , then in Rahberbahngasse where the mikvah (ritual bath) was also situated, and from 1874 in the Roter Hof, 64 Himbergerstrasse . The following year an entire floor at 1 Keplerplatz was rented and fully converted for use as a prayer hall; in September it was consecrated by Chief Rabbi Dr. Guedemann and the well-known cantor Salomon Sulzer. The rabbi was Dr. Hauser, the chazan (cantor) M. G. Allenberg, after whose death came Salomon Hirsch. During the following years the community expanded so quickly that services were held at the previously mentioned locations, as well as in the Favoriten Halls at 126 Simmeringstrasse where Jakob Strassberg was engaged as chazan.

The need for a purpose-built synagogue was apparent; a building committee was established in 1886 which in 1893 purchased the site in the Humboldtplatz. In 1896 the new synagogue was consecrated by Rabbi Dr. David Loewi, who had officiated since 1889. The architect Jakob Gartner had designed a building with ecclesiastical undertones, differing however by the inclusion of oriental cupolas and onion-shaped towers, its impressive appearance with its central dome dominated the surrounding area. In the first twenty years Aron L. Mandl was the rabbi, and from 1929 to 1938, Dr. Albert Weiner.

On November 10 1938 the building was blown up. On November 6, 1988 a memorial tablet was affixed to the present building on the site, an apartment block.
Sources: - Genée, Pierre, Wiener Synagogen 1825-1938, Wien, 1987, S. 79 f.
- Dokumentationsarchiv des österreichischen Widerstandes (Hg.), Gedenken und Mahnen in Wien 1934-1945. Gedenkstätten zu Widerstand und Verfolgung, Exil, Befreiung, Wien 1998, S.212
- Gedenktafelenthüllung in der Humboldtgasse Nr.27, in: Bezirksjournal Favoriten Nr. 11, 1988
- Gedenktafeln erinnern an zerstörte Synagogen. Zur Erinnerung an die „Reichskristallnacht“, in: Rathauskorrespondenz der Stadt Wien, 3.11.1988, 7.11.1988
- Gedenktafeln, in: Die Gemeinde, Offizielles Organ der Israelitischen Kultusgemeinde Wien, 2.12.1988
Located in: Vienna